Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine's Day DIY: Easy Heart Shaped Lotion Bars

So tomorrow is Valentine's Day! I've been pinning Valentine's ideas for months, it seems, and all of a sudden it's here. And I didn't get around to decorating or making any of the ideas I pinned. {sigh} Next year, maybe.


I have been wanting to make these lotion bars for a while now, since my fingers are always cracked. I recently happened upon some heart shaped silicone ice trays in the dollar zone at Target, so I knew that I was meant to whip up some lotion bars for a quick and easy Valentine's gift.


I added this sweet bag topper to bags my husband picked up at the dollar store and tied it with some bakers twine to make a pretty {and super quick and easy and CHEAP} Valentine's Day gift!


Easy Heart Shaped Lotion Bars
What you'll need:
One part coconut oil
One part beeswax
One part shea butter or cocoa butter {or combination of both}
Essential oil of your choice {optional--the natural scents of the oils and beeswax are quite nice on their own}
{I made my lotion bars using 8 ounces for each part and using both the shea butter and cocoa butter, each in 4 ounce parts}

How to do it:
Combine all ingredients in a double boiler and stir constantly until melted. {I use an electric double burner turned to low and it never burns.} Remove from heat and add essential oils if using, stirring until combined. {I used 25 drops of sweet orange essential oil and I can barely make out the scent. I will try using 50 drops next time for a more potent fragrance.} Pour into molds and let sit for 24 hours to harden.

What are you doing for your Valentines this year? 


No comments:

Post a Comment